Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Zipf! (like thwip! or snikt!)

Hello World! My name is Jonny, and welcome to my blog on data science escapades!

I was a computational researcher in mechanical engineering and materials science where much of my research focused on applying molecular simulation to understanding material behavior. Following my postdoctoral appointment, I found that my quantitative skillset could be complemented with a data scientist's toolbox to tackle a much wider range of problems. And so began my forays into data science.

I've spent a lot of time in recent months learning (or re-learning in some cases) python and various libraries (mechanize, BeautifulSoup, pandas, matplotlib, etc.), SQL, machine learning algorithms, Hadoop and MapReduce, etc. on my own. Less than two weeks ago, I was accepted into the Zipfian Academy, and quickly I began my formal training as a budding data scientist. I am now halfway through my second week, and already I've learned a ton of things, met some really interesting people with eclectic backgrounds, and began scraping the web for some interesting datasets (more on this soon!).

Whether you are an established data scientist, a curious academic, an engineer, a scientist, a student, a friend or relative, or none of the above, I welcome you to join me in my edification experience and hopefully beyond.

To find more information about me, you can also explore my website at https://sites.google.com/site/jonathanwlee5.

No comments :

Post a Comment